Cowhide & Sheepskin Care
Cowhide rugs work well in all rooms, including the highest traffic areas of your home, due to the durable innate properties of the hide. Cowhides rugs are resistant to stains and are surprisingly easy to maintain and care for and can last for many many years without replacement.
Removing Food Stains from your Cowhide Rug or Bag
Food stains can be easily removed from your cowhide rug by using a brush or butter knife while gently scraping in the same direction as the rug fibres. If the stain is still showing, getting a damp washcloth with a small amount of non-alkaline soap or water mixed with white organic vinegar will get many deep food stains to come right out. Simply rub the area with the rug and dry it with a towel or dry washcloth.
As you can see, cleaning and care of cowhide rugs is very easy especially comparing to other rugs due to the fact that these are a natural animal product.
No natural or man-made fibre possesses the qualities of 100% sheepskin. These natural fibres breathe like no synthetic can, creating a natural thermostatic effect that keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. And being hollow, each fibre can absorb up to 30% of its own weight in moisture without seeming wet (cotton absorbs only 8%). This helps to keep you warm and dry, regardless of the weather. Sheepskin is impossible to create synthetically, and offers an amazing range of natural qualities:
- Sheepskin wool does not shed, because it's attached to the leather. It's not woven and then brushed up, like wool pile fabric.
- Ounce for ounce, sheepskin is stronger than steel! Sheepskin products will last for years with minimum care, by brushing and shaking them out, or by vacuuming.
- Naturally resists snags, tears, wrinkles, soiling and pilling.
- Drapes elegantly, never sags and retains its shape
- Is water resistant, static free, flame resistant, and wind proof. Wool is widely recognised as the least flammable fabric in common use.
- Is dirt and bacteria resistant. For centuries people have noticed that its natural lanolin provides a self-cleaning quality when hung in fresh air.
- Contains natural moisturisers such as lanolin that make the fur soft against your skin.
- Wool is naturally non-allergenic and biodegradable. Wool requires no factory or chemicals to produce it and is a self-replenishing natural product.
Single sheepskins can be used in a variety of ways: placed on dining chairs, pet beds, Moses Baskets, sofas, armchairs, benches and outdoor furniture – let your imagination run riot! They can also be used in bathrooms as bath mats and of course as rugs throughout the home. Additionally; a lesser known fact; they are even washable! Sheepskins look great and are luxuriously comfortable underfoot or to sit on.
We stock premium quality, ethically sourced items that have been carefully processed to preserve their natural beauty and individuality.
Shaking the Rug
Going outside and shaking the rug or hitting it against a wall to get out all of the dust is a very effective way to quickly get off all of the surface particles off the rug. Don't worry, the hair won't fall out, our hides are extremely durable!
The easiest and most effective way to perform routine maintenance on your rug is to simply vacuum your cowhide to remove any surface dust and dirt.
Steam cleaning is very popular for giving your rug the occasional deep clean and making it look as fresh and new as the day you bought it. Always make sure to vacuum the rug first for the most effective deep clean. Use the steam cleaner in the direction of the hair making sure not to get the fibres too saturated. Simply allow the the rug to air dry after.
Grease stains on your rug? Have no fear! Start by gently scraping away the grease as best as possible with a brush, or anything with hard bristles. We have found that using a small amount of eucalyptus oil on top of the stain helps to remove the stain. Simply apply a small amount of the oil and carefully rub it away with a dry, clean cloth. If you can't get the stain out, contact a professional rug cleaning service and they will get it out.